'For Molly' tells the story of a young Irish couple ‘Evan and Laura’, engaged to be married and preparing for the arrival of their first child ‘Molly’ when a shock cancer diagnosis arrives out of the blue to Evan.
Uncertain about the future Evan starts recording a series of home movie messages for Molly in an attempt to offer some helpful fatherly advice and a document of who he is for Molly when she is older.
The home movie recordings unintentionally end up capturing the emotional rollercoaster Evan and Laura go through as they come to terms with their predicament and events build towards a climax.
The story deals with universal themes of love and loss, death, birth and healing all told through a distinctly Irish focused lens drawing on and depicting Ireland's changing culture and way of life.
For Molly is Cathal Kenna's sophomore feature film. His debut ‘Coming Home’ screened successfully in North and South America, Ireland, The U.K. and Australia. Cathal set up Clann Films and is currently developing a number of projects for the company.
"In recent times some of my close family and friends have been affected by cancer. ‘For Molly’ came about as a result of those experiences. With this film I hope we can highlight some important issues relating to cancer care and prevention by raising awareness particularly among younger sections of the population. I also hope the film will serve as a tool to promote the great work performed by local cancer support groups, services and advocates working to ensure that the best possible care is available to those experiencing the impact of the disease in Ireland."
Dublin - Movies@Dundrum
Dublin - Movies@Swords
Dublin - Omniplex Rathmines
Cork - Omniplex Mahon-Point
Kerry - Omniplex Tralee
Limerick - Omniplex Limerick
Longford - Omniplex Longford
Sligo - Omniplex Sligo
Wexford - Movies@Gorey
Waterford - SGC Dungarvan
We will be donating a portion of the films box office proceeds to and promoting the services of the following Irish cancer support groups as part of our media work with For Molly:
• The Irish Cancer Society (https://www.cancer.ie)
• The Cork Cancer Care Centre (http://www.corkcancercarecentre.ie)
• Cork ARC Cancer Support House (http://www.corkcancersupport.ie)
• The Mid Western Cancer Foundation (http://www.mwcf.ie)
• Cancer Support Sanctuary LARCC (http://cancersupport.ie)
• Sligo Cancer Support Centre (http://www.sligocancersupportcentre.ie)
• Kerry Cancer Support Group (http://www.kerrycancersupport.com)
• Recovery Haven Kerry Cancer Support House (https://www.recoveryhavenkerry.com)
• Our Lady’s Hospice Harolds Cross (http://olh.ie)
Want to talk to us about For Molly? That's great! Fill out the following form and we will be in touch